CENTER OF EXCELLENCEMagdeburg Port of Science
Centre for innovation and knowledge transfer
The old trading port in Magdeburg is conquering new frontiers. With the Port of Science, a centre for innovation and knowledge transfer is being created in direct proximity to the university on the site built by the Elbe at the end of the 19th century. As a new urban quarter, the former port area offers space for science and business but also for living and services, leisure and tourism.
New life is moving into the dockside warehouses. Research institutions and knowledge-based companies have settled under the roof of the “think tank”. Additionally, a new research campus for interdisciplinary medical engineering found its home on the site of former sugar store - the Research Campus STIMULATE. So it is a port full of dynamism and change, clearly a CENTER OF EXCELLENCE.
Dr. Lutz Trümper, Lord Mayor of the City of Magdeburg
“With the development of the old trading port into a Port of Science, we are combining living and life with work and research and are creating a new urban quarter with a very special atmosphere. Following extensive investments in the infrastructure and initial new uses, the focus in the coming period of time will be on redeveloping and expanding further warehouses and a direct connection to the campus of Otto von Guericke University.”
Total surface area in hectare
Investments in m. € (from public funds)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Factory Operation and Automation (IFF)
- ifak - Institute for Automation and Communication e.V.
- Centre for Scientific Training of the OVGU and university
- Research Campus STIMULATE
- Galileo Test Field as an institution of Otto von Guericke University in collaboration with other research institutes (IFAK, Fraunhofer IFF)
- Max Planck Institute for Dynamic Complex Technical Systems
- Experimental factory Magdeburg